Monday, October 13, 2008

Take This Job and Love It

I've been in such a crappy mood lately and I don't know why. I guess a lot of it has to do with the fact that I work every freakin' day of my life either at the agency or at the store. And this time of year... the pretty leaves are gone, it's getting really cold, and the ultimate S-word can be expected just about any time now. True, if we get some now, it probably won't stay, but there's always the chance that we could get some. It's happened before. I just don't know what happened to summer. I think it was just Tuesday that the leaves were starting to pop out on the trees and now, not even a week later it seems, they're gone. What the...?!?

But today is a behind closed doors work day here at the agency. We come in in our jeans and sneakies--heck, we could come in in our PJs if we wanted to--and get to get caught up on stuff you don't usually have time to do when the phones are rigning off the hook and you've got customers coming in and plopping their big whiny-ass butts down in your chair and complaining about everything on earth. So we get caught up on filing and paperwork and little busy-work type stuff that needs to get done. Today we decided to do a potluck. My God, there's so much food in the break room, we could feed a small country. But what I'm loving about being here today is the laughter that's coming from the office. I don't appreciate that enough. These are good people I work with. We all have similar personalities and senses of humor and there's always at least one big eruption of laughter here per day, even when we're open and full of whiny-ass customers. On days like this, though, it's almost non-stop. I really need to stop complaining about working all the time and be thankful I love the people I work with. Not many people have that. So thanks to the powers that be for my co-workers.

Now the grocery store, that's another issue. I apparently "tweaked" on Saturday, according to one of the 12-year-olds I work with, when he and all the other 12-year-olds were all cross-talking and telling inappropriate jokes when we had lines of customers clear to the back of the store. I guess telling them to pay attention to their customers and watch their filthy mouths is called "tweaking" these days. What I really "tweaked" over is the fact that they didn't realize what they were doing was wrong. What is wrong with kids these days? Did I act like that when I was 17? I don't think I did. I know I sound like a crabby old lady, and maybe I am, but I weep for our future.

OK, well, I'll weep later. Right now I'm going to go pig out and laugh with my cool co-workers.

1 comment:

Starchy said...

Admit it. You're just saying this to cover your butt in case you get busted blogging at work.